Ghiacciato

22 Jan

The other day I was driving on my way to do some errands and came across this scenery in Piemonte.  The whole countryside was white, frosty and covered in a thin layer of ice.  I felt like I could have been on a back country road in Quebec in the middle of winter.  These photos were taken 15 minutes from my house where it was sunny and no ice or snow was to be seen.

As you can see, the risotto fields are covered in frost and ice.  I don’t know if this will affect the crops this spring but in any case it was a beautiful sight to see.

7 Responses to “Ghiacciato”

1. Debra Kolkka January 22, 2012 at 14:04 #

Beautiful!!!

2. GrammaO January 23, 2012 at 01:38 #

It looks surreal – coloured photography in black and white

3. Kat January 31, 2012 at 17:40 #

beautiful! cold! Its really unusual to see how on one part its snowing and seeing nearby a thriving vegetable garden. Oh and Lago Maggiore is a lovely place to be, I’ve been there once when I first arrived to Italy – loved it. 🙂

• jc January 31, 2012 at 20:30 #

It is indeed a lovely area with lake and mountains and everything in between. I’m just in shock at how cold it is at the moment. It’s supposed to be -20 this week! I escaped Canada due to weather like that. Isn’t Italy supposed to have a mild and pleasant winter?

• Kat February 1, 2012 at 01:13 #

thats nutty! my husband heard that the last time it was as cold was back in 1985. I have yet to experience Canada, curious. where in Lago Maggiore do you stay? we stayed at a friends’ place on top of Lesa. very very pretty place

• jc February 1, 2012 at 12:47 #

We are on the other side of the lake close to Angera. Lesa is a very pretty area. The villas over there are gorgeous! And you? What area of Italy are you living in?

• Kat February 1, 2012 at 15:08 #

we’re in the Marche area. currently in Macerata but moving to Ancona come april. 🙂 wow I saw your fabrics collection! so pretty! I wish there was 2 meters free for 1 meter here too…