After two weeks of various Japanese desserts which included lots of white and red bean paste, flavoured fruit jellies and matcha tea cookies and ice cream the kids were craving some home baked cookies from La Mama.
So in between all the unpacking and cleaning I managed to whip up some chewy oatmeal cookies. The perfect afternoon snack for a cold and rainy spring day.I always slightly underbake oatmeal cookies to give them that soft and chewy texture. These are great just out of the oven or several days later. Not that they’ll last that long…
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs (preferably organic)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (good quality makes a huge difference).
1 1/2 cup flour
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (essential for that sweet/salty taste we all love)
3 cups quick cooking oats
1. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
2. Add in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
3. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon (if using) together. Slowly add to butter mixture.
4. Mix in the oats (and any nuts or chocolate chips if desired).
5. Drop onto baking sheet (do not flatten). Bake for 12 minutes at 350 C (180F).
6. Let cookies cool for a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack.