Japanese Purchases

18 Jun

As some of you may know, we went on a two week trip to Japan a few months back with our three kids.  It was an absolutely amazing trip.  We saw and did so many wonderful things and met so many wonderful people.  It was really a trip of a lifetime.

While there we had a few occasions to pop into various shops to browse around.  Obviously with three kids these occasions were few and far between but I did manage to pick up some really neat little gifts and souvenirs.  The Japanese are famous for their beautiful packaging and I’m a huge fan of everything they do.   I love the care and time they put into making everything from cookies to presents to even toilet paper look pretty.

I’ve noticed that people who pop by our house are so intrigued to see our little Japanese purchases so I thought I’d show you a  few here.    Of course many of them have something to do with packaging (either the way it was packaged or something to help me package nicely).

These little mini packages of rice crackers with a face and clothing printed on the plastic wrapping.  The kids bought them to take into their classmates as a souvenir from Japan.Same idea as the rice crackers but these are two chocolate balls and instead of kimono wearing geishas and warriors it’s Russian Babushka dolls.I tried one out today and although they’re cute they taste pretty crappy.

I couldn’t go to Japan and not buy the famous and over-used Washi tape.   Even if it did cost more than it does in Italy.  Striped and polka dotted twist ties.  I regret not buying tons more of these.  So great for all those bags of cookies and brownies that I leave in people’s mailboxes.

My daughters were given Japanese yen for their birthday from their grandmother and could buy anything they wanted.  In the end they both decided to buy these  Wabisuke purses Made in Japan.They are so well made with a thick canves in the most adorable fabrics.

Look at this elephant material!  I wish I could have bought this by the metre.

And of course one of the all time favourite purchases was this Lego Candy we found at a stall in the Nishiki market in Kyoto.  You can actually build stuff with it!  I’m already planning my son’s birthday cake with these arranged on top.

I can’t forget that I also bought these Echino materials as well while in Japan and received these amazing Japanese Temari Balls as a gift.

15 Responses to “Japanese Purchases”

1. Ana Gaby June 18, 2012 at 12:46 #

This is so cute! I love japanese stuff. Especially zakka! Looks like you found some wonderful things to play with! Happy crafting!

• jc June 18, 2012 at 16:38 #

Hi Ana. What is zakka?! Is it something I bought!? I could have filled many suitcases with all the great stuff in Japan.

• Ana Gaby June 18, 2012 at 16:42 #

Zakka refers to anything that “improves” your home. All the little knicknacks Japanese people use to decorate their homes. From lamps to mini sculptures, etc. Basically anything japanese hahaha

2. grammao June 18, 2012 at 13:08 #

all I can say is WOW. So you, so Japanese, so useful!!

• jc June 18, 2012 at 16:38 #

That’s the great thing. It’s all USEFUL! I love that.

3. jonathanochart June 18, 2012 at 13:24 #

These items are adorable!

• jc June 18, 2012 at 16:39 #

Japan=adorable. The people, the shops, the food. Everything.

4. ishooteditnblog June 18, 2012 at 13:50 #

Nice, great shots ! =)

• jc June 18, 2012 at 16:39 #

Thank you!

5. little pink cakes June 18, 2012 at 16:29 #

Wonderful! I love those neat Japanese style, too! They pay so much attention to the small details …

And those Lego candys! Wahhh! How cool!

• jc June 18, 2012 at 16:40 #

I know…those lego candies are the best. I wish I had bought about 10 more bags of them. Great gifts for little boys (or girls!). And I’m thinking they’d look perfect on top of some cupcakes.

6. Deepa June 18, 2012 at 17:24 #

Making things cute is definitely a national skill of the Japanese. It must be genetic.
    Your haul is awesome. Those twist ties and Lego candies are my favorites in this bunch!

7. Jen June 19, 2012 at 16:51 #

You have the best eye for spotting cool stuff. ‘Course it probably helps that the Japanese are some of the best for creating cool stuff.

Love the twist ties. So much nicer than the one my son hordes when we go to the grocery store. He twists them into little people.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Japanese Purchases (part two) « jillian in italy - June 25, 2012

[…] I’d do another post with some of my favourite purchases from our trip (see previous post here).  I bought some of these souvenirs at the 100 yen shop (equivalent to the $1 shop).  It’s […]

2. Moroccan Purchases | - April 26, 2013

[…] we always try and bring back a few keepsakes for ourselves and gifts for friends and family (read here and here to find what we purchased in […]