Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies

21 Nov

Hello all.  I’m back after taking a much needed break.  We had a really tough week last week and we’re just surfacing from some serious grieving over the loss of someone very special.  Dealing with your own grief while dealing with the grief of your children can be quite overwhelming.

But we’re getting our life back together and starting our daily grind again.  And we’re all happy about it.

Today is a beautiful day here in Northern Italy.  The sun is shining and the mountains are in clear view.  Absolutely stunning scenery all around me.

View from my sewing room this morning

Since I started my sugar hiatus five weeks ago I haven’t done much baking.  I had to steer clear of all sweets those first weeks because the temptation was overwhelming.  But the cravings have subsided and I can actually bake without wanting to stick my head in the mixing bowl to devour whatever dough I’m preparing (okay it did cross my mind with these cookies but the urge passed very quickly).

These Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cranberries and White Chocolate are probably one of my favourite cookies (and similar to these that I made a few months ago).  They are sweet with a touch of tart and very hearty.  I could imagine these would be the perfect apres-ski snack with a mug of hot chocolate.

I made up a batch of these and baked half the dough and froze the other half .  As I’ve said in the past, having cookie dough ready in your freezer is great for last minute guests, hungry school kids or late-night cravings.  And people, Christmas is coming up really soon!  We’ve got to get on the holiday baking now!

Continue reading for the recipe!

Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies

2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries (it’s up to you and how much you like dried cranberries)
2/3 cup chopped white chocolate

1. In a mixer cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and mix well.

2. In another bowl combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt together.  Slowly add to butter/sugar/egg mixture.

3.  Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate.

4.  Drop rounded teaspoon of dough onto baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes (or until golden).

Enjoy!

Recipe found on the Ocean Spray site here.

I’m going to be honest and tell you that these are not overly popular with my kids.  One loves them, one picks out the cranberries and one won’t touch them.   But adults are usually big fans!

7 Responses to “Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies”

1. pianoB November 21, 2012 at 20:56 #

I’m sorry to hear about your loss, I hope these beautiful autumn sunny days we’re enjoying can help you and your family feel better.
    I see we have similar views from our windows (although yours is slightly better, as we are facing a big building as well).

• Jillian in Italy November 22, 2012 at 15:16 #

Thanks for your kind words. This is our view for now but who knows how long we’ll have it (apparently the empty lot next to our house which is non-edificabile can be changed into edificabile!). But for now we’re enjoying it!

2. Kat November 22, 2012 at 12:43 #

Sorry to hear about the loss Jill.. but good to hear from you and to see this view from your window – like, for real? great recipe too but I’ll have to wait until we get a real oven before I start dreaming of baking. Hugs, Kat

• Jillian in Italy November 22, 2012 at 15:17 #

Aw Kat, I’ve missed you! Thanks so much for the message. How are things with you all? Are you in Rome yet? Hugs, J x

• Kat November 22, 2012 at 19:51 #

Yes we are in Rome and Adamo now goes to the asilo nearby which is cool for me and him to be with other kids. Still have loads of stuff to finish but doing good. 🙂 Are you prepping for christmas already?

3. Judith November 23, 2012 at 20:14 #

So sorry to hear about your loss Jillian. Hope you can be there for each other as a family… Hopefully you’ll be able to continue to enjoy that stunning view, but if Italian authorities are just as slow as the French, I’m optimistic 😉
    That third image is so pretty, true Jillian colors! And a delicious recipe too. hmmmm

• Jillian in Italy November 26, 2012 at 00:00 #

Thanks Judith. And you’re right about the Italian authorities. If they do decide to build it could take decades! Here’s hoping at least…