Mascarpone Pots with Fresh Berries

7 Jun

IMG_8657Last week-end we had some friends over for a Sunday morning brunch.  Luckily the weather was beautiful so after months of cold and rain we could finally sit outside and eat and chat and enjoy the sunshine.  The little kids frolicked in the garden in Gramma-made princess dresses and the parents drank home-made beer and my famous (well not really) rhubarb, lime and prosecco cocktails with fresh mint (see post about those here).

Besides all the normal brunch fare I made these little pots with a cookie bottom, mascarpone cream and fresh berries.  I actually invented the recipe on the spot not really knowing if they’d be edible or not.  In the end the were definitely edible, I’d even say delicious.  They have a cheesecake feel to them without the heaviness (I did add a little cream cheese to the mixture though).  And there is absolutely no baking involved in this quick and simple recipe making it perfect for hot summers when the last thing you want to do is put the oven on.  I served them in pretty little jam jars with lids and they were devoured within minutes.  I’ll take that as compliment.

Read on for recipe:

Mascarpone Pots with Fresh Berries

250 g mascarpone
75 g cream cheese
200 ml fresh cream
1 tsp vanilla
2-4 Tbsp sugar (depending on taste)
tiny pinch of salt

125 g finally ground digestive biscuits
70-80g butter

1. Mix ground cookie crumbs with melted butter until well blended.  Press into the bottom of little glasses (or as I did glass jars).  You can decide how thick you would like the cookie crumb layer.

2. Whip cream until stiff peaks begin to form.  Set aside.

3. In mixer cream together the mascarpone and cream cheese until smooth.  Add in vanilla, sugar and salt and mix until just combined.  With a spatula gently fold in whipped cream.

4.  Drop the mascarpone mixture on top of the cookie crumb bottom (shake glass or bottom to level it out).  Sprinkle fresh raspberries and blueberries on top (or any other berries).  Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour.  Enjoy!

IMG_8661

After our brunch guests left we headed out to watch our twin daughters play Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in their theatre group’s rendition of Alice In Wonderland (Alice Nel Paese delle Meraviglie).  In case you’re wondering, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are translated as Dammelo and Dimmelo in Italian.  Over all a really lovely Sunday.

17 Responses to “Mascarpone Pots with Fresh Berries”

1. giova brusa June 7, 2013 at 21:22 #

These look so pretty and yummy, and I really want one right now. I love desserts like this one!!

2. milkandbun June 7, 2013 at 22:54 #

So sweet! small pots:)

• Jillian In Italy June 8, 2013 at 22:46 #

The small pots really make these little desserts look so much nicer than a glass or bowl. Definitely worth it!

3. Stephanie June 9, 2013 at 11:03 #

You make lovely desserts 🙂 I want to try them all!

4. www May 31, 2014 at 09:17 #

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something
    which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad
    for me. I’m looking forward for your next post,
    I’ll try to get the hang of it!

5. landscape maintenance contract June 2, 2014 at 02:56 #

What’s up, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was inspiring.
    Keep on posting!

6. I almost never leave remarks, however i did some searching and wound up here
    Mascarpone Pots with Fresh Berries | Jillian In Italy.
    And I do have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind.

Is it simply me or does it give the impression like some of these
    remarks look as if they are left by brain dead people?
    😛 And, if you are writing on additional online social sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.
    Could you make a list of all of your public pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

7. Hi there terrific blog! Does running a blog such as this take a great deal of work?

I have absolutely no understanding of coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyways, should you have any ideas or techniques for new
    blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject but
    I simply needed to ask. Appreciate it!

8. Austin roll off dumpsters June 15, 2014 at 22:52 #

I really love your website.. Great colors
    & theme. Did you make this amazing site yourself?
    Please reply back as I’m looking to create my ownn personal blog and would love to know where you got this from or just what the theme is called.
    Thank you!

9. genus Polanisia June 19, 2014 at 13:02 #

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I am happy
    that you simply shared this useful info with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

10. ipad repair June 27, 2014 at 07:39 #

Hence, it would be necessary to undertake a ggreat deal of compter repairs.
    The function can also fix a variety of directory problems, all except the most severe ones.
    Overcharging alters thee batteries ionization, ultimately leading to device malfunctions.

11. fitness shop July 14, 2014 at 19:05 #

My brother recommended I might like this
    website. He was totally right. This submit truly made
    my day. You cann’t believe just how a lot time I had spent
    for this information! Thanks!

12. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus
    i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my web site!I suppose
    its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

13. Jaime September 23, 2014 at 20:34 #

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed
    account your blog posts. Anywaay I willl be subscribing to your
    augment and even I achievement you acces consistently quickly.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. San Valentino | Jillian In Italy - February 12, 2014

[…] going to try and make these Red Velvet Cupcakes in a Jar (because we all know that desserts in jars taste so much better!).  And as I do every year I’ll also whip up a batch of my […]

2. 5 Great No-Bake Desserts - Hither & Thither - August 16, 2016