La Gallina Brutta

27 Feb

I have a theory about chickens that I’ve come up with over the past years being a chicken owner.  Here it is.  The uglier the chicken is, the more beautiful it’s eggs are.  The photo above is of Poppy.  Poppy is a Marans chicken and has been with us for over a year and she lays the most beautiful bordeaux red eggs.  But let’s be honest, she is…..ugly.  Many people don’t realise that it’s possible to have a chicken with a nice looking face but it indeed is.  We once had a chicken named Delphinium and she had a very sweet face and a lovely disposition (I can hear you laughing).

Poppy is a wide chicken as well (read obese).  She can’t fly.  She’s missing quite a few feathers on her neck (thanks to her roommates). And she spends her days pecking at my kitchen window trying to get at the bowl of cat food inside.  But we don’t mind.  We love her just the same and appreciate her beautiful eggs every single day.

6 Responses to “La Gallina Brutta”

1. Kat February 27, 2012 at 10:23 #

awww Poppy.. *pat* well you know, she looks feisty. personality makes up for pretty feathers don’t you think? are her roommates bullying her? tsk tsk.. must be really great having fresh eggs everyday. didn’t know they made them that fast.

• jc February 29, 2012 at 21:49 #

She is feisty. Maybe even a little…bitchy. You should see how those three ladies treat each other. Awful. But how can I teach chickens to love and respect each other?! Yes…the eggs are wonderful. Imagine an omelet made with an egg that is minutes fresh.

2. Julie De Keyzer March 1, 2012 at 14:35 #

So funny you have a chicken that’s named Poppy … we are thinking about that name 😉

• jc March 1, 2012 at 21:04 #

That is a really cute name Julie. I can just see a little Poppy running around with all the De Groeve cousins.

3. Petra Roche March 13, 2012 at 16:33 #

lol, I loved your “I can hear you laughing” comment. ’cause you know I was.

• jc March 15, 2012 at 15:31 #

I was actually talking to you when I wrote it…