Tutorial: Small Fabric Basket

19 Mar

{Here’s  little simple sewing project from the Jillian In Italy archives.  I think this would be a great project to do for Easter for the kids or even with the kids.  I can just imagine a garden full of these sweet little baskets filled with Easter eggs and candy.}

Here is a very basic tutorial that a good friend of mine designed for a very sweet little fabric basket.  Very quick and gratifying.  I used oilcloth for the outside and a cotton for the inside but it would be possible to use only cotton as well (or even nicer would be linen).  If using cottons or linens I would recommend using interfacing to make it stiff enough to stand up on it’s own.  The paper clips are used to avoid getting little pin holes in the plasticized material or oilcloth. Please let me know if I wasn’t clear on any of my instructions (I know the corner part is a bit hard to see in the photo).

Read on to get full tutorial.

15 Responses to “Tutorial: Small Fabric Basket”

1. ellasmiles March 19, 2013 at 21:34 #

I’m no crafty, but uou make it look so easy! I know I’d spend 3 hours trying to make it and in the end it would look like a 5-year-old did it…. but I do think they’re adorable!

• Jillian in Italy March 29, 2013 at 13:07 #

I’m sure you could manage to make some beautiful ones! My kids have made these and even those turned out really well!

2. adoptionista March 19, 2013 at 22:51 #

What a great idea! I’ve seen these for a pretty penny at Restoration Hardware…

3. petra March 20, 2013 at 06:52 #

Hey j, i love these baskets but as a longtime follower/stalker of you and your blog i have already made tons of these. Do you think you could spend your easter holidays coming up with a new tut for us? Muchos gracias! Love, p

• Jillian in Italy March 29, 2013 at 13:09 #

I’m working on it P. I’ve had the in-laws here for 2 weeks, the kids home for 2 weeks and so many other things to get done. I’m overloaded!!!!

4. giova brusa March 30, 2013 at 11:42 #

These are so great and useful, and as a beginner with the sewing machine… thank you for mine 😉 It is filled with things and looks awesome!!

5. Femke April 5, 2013 at 09:31 #

Hi Jillian, I love the baskets you made here, so simple! I know what I’ll be doing this weekend 🙂 Thanks!

6. femkehesselink April 5, 2013 at 09:32 #

Hi Jillian, I love the little baskets you’ve made. I know what I’ll be doing this weekend 🙂 Thanks

7. grammy August 27, 2014 at 21:39 #

this is a great pattern and easy to do

8. preeti September 22, 2014 at 16:26 #

hi i want to make these but these measurements are really small…am i right? if i want to make themm bigger, for kids/babies toys/socks, can i just double the measurements etc? wud that turn out ok?
    thanks
    preeti

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. DIY: Fabric Baskets to Organize your Chaos, e.g. in your Drawer | Food, Love and Shelter - April 16, 2013

[…] further inspiration? Check these fantastic bloggs: Jillian in Italy, Makezine or the Purl […]

2. (not cheesy) Teacher Gifts You Can Sew – Sewing Notes - May 12, 2016

[…] Jillian in Italy you can learn how to make these fabric baskets so your child’s teacher can store and organize all their teachery stuff.  I like useful […]

3. 100 Things to Do This Summer if You Love Food: Foodie Underground - October 13, 2016

[…] Make a fabric bread basket. […]